Sunday 1 April 2012

97 days


The countdown begins to the Calgary Stampede's Centennial! For me Stampede is not too far behind Christmas for my favorite time of the year, especially since last year was so much fun. This year is sure to be extra special too since the exhibition is celebrating 100 years.
Last year my Stampede started on Sneak-a-Peek night, July 7, with the reception for the winners of the Western Art Scholarship in the BMO Center's Western Oasis. The reception took place before the venue was opened to the public allowing us to get a look at the artwork, crafts and photography before anyone else. The awards were handed out and we were treated to some music, I can honestly say the atmosphere changed quite dramatically when we ventured out of the hall and into the busy midway. We watched my cousin skate in the Enmax Ice Show and wandered around the grounds for the rest of the night.
Days later we were back. July 16 I headed back into the city very early in the morning to the Stampede grounds but this time I went in the back to get accreditation to be on the grounds as an exhibitor. I was lucky enough to win with my Yearling Ewe at the Provincial Sheep Show and that morning we met the trailer at the Ag. Building to unload my ewe and her lambs. Once they got settled into their pen, I hauled water and gave them hay. 
Next the exhibitors met for information about the schedule for the day. Groups of Sr. members started to head over to another building for their scholarship interviews, I think I was in the last group and was excited to talk to the judges about the sheep industry. After the interview I pulled out my ewe and lambs for a quick grooming before heading over to the Big Top tent for the Supreme Parade of Champions. Winners from the beef, dairy and sheep shows at Summer Synergy all entered the ring for the judge to select the Supreme winners of each group, it was pretty interesting seeing so many excellant looking animals being shown at the same time. While I didn't take home the top prize I was happy a fellow Hampshire breeder won Supreme Champion with her awesome mature ewe and twin lambs. 
Later that night the Sr. members were called upstairs in the Ag. Building for the big announcement of who would be receiving the $2000 and $1000 scholarships ( I got a $1000 one) and for cowboy hat fitting. Next we went downstairs to have a group picture in our hats and jackets with the sponsors and travelled in a group over to the grandstand. We arrived during the chuckwagon races it was neat to stand so close to the rail as the wagons went by. In-between heats we walked out onto the grandstand and had our names called one by one infront of the huge crowd. After that it was back to the barns to feed and water the sheep for the night and head home. 
We were there early again the next morning to feed and water the sheep, you could tell it had been a long week from the people passed out in the tack room. Since there was no scheduled events for us that day most of my time was spent sitting in a lawn chair beside the stalls answering questions about the sheep. We also walked around the grounds to pass the time until it was time to move out the animals.
Last year's Stampede was lots of fun and I also came home with $3000 in my jeans by the end of it. I can't wait for this years!

No comments:

Post a Comment