Sunday 22 May 2011

Calgary Stampede Art Scholarship Win

I have always loved to draw and my favorite subjects are right outside my front door- my animals.
Since I was 12 I have entered the Calgary Stampede Creative and Crafts Competition with my drawings and this year, being my Grade 12 year, I was able to enter my artwork in the Scholarship Division. My art had to be completed and delivered to Calgary by March 11th, which seems early since Stampede doesn't start until July 8, for judging. I didn't realize that the deadline would be that early and I realized it only 4 days before the deadline. This meant that I didn't have much time to work on my entry. Luckily I found a picture that I had started but not finished in my sketchbook.
My pen and ink drawing a work in progress. I used a picture I took of one of my cows, Dot, as my reference.




My picture was finished, framed and delivered and what seemed like not long after my friend (who had also entered) got a  letter in the mail saying that she'd got an Honorable Mention. That night I just had to check the mail to see if I had received a letter too. I was honestly surprised when I read the first line that said "Congratulations, you have won first place and a prize of $2,000". The competition is divided between urban and rural schools. My school is grades K-12 with only 200 students in a very small town- the definition of rural. I was very happy to win first in the rural division with my artwork, something that I have worked hard at for a long time to improve on.

The finished product.


Now my artwork will be displayed throughout Stampede as part of the Western Showcase in the BMO Center. This is one of the hidden gems of the Stampede. The Western Showcase features the artwork of many established artists, entertainment, a western photo gallery and the entries in the Creative Arts and Crafts Competition. All of the artwork depicts the western theme from some very talented local people. For more information check out the Western Showcase Website and make sure to take a look if you attend this year's Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth: The Calgary Stampede.

2 comments:

  1. You have a fantastic talent! Love your sketch. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete