Tuesday 3 May 2011

Shepherd's Poem

Now I lay me down to sleep, 
Exhausted by those dog-gone sheep;

My only wish is that I might
Cause them not to lamb at night.

Back into bed, then up again,
At two o'clock and four A.M....

They grunt and groan with noses high,
And in between, a mournful sigh.

We stand there watching nature work,
Hoping there won't be a quirk:
 
A leg turned back, or even worse,
A lamb that's coming in reverse.

But once they've lambed we're glad to see
that their efforts didn't end in tragedy.

There's no emotion so sublime
As a ewe and lamb that's doing fine.

I'm often asked why I raise sheep,
With all the work and loss of sleep;

The gratification gained at three A.M.,
From the birth of another baby lamb-

How can you explain, or even show?
'Cause only a shepherd will ever know!

D.L.SALISBURY, D.V.M.
APRIL 1, 1988

No comments:

Post a Comment